Thursday 5 May 2016

Thursday Night's Dinner: Fajitas

Cooking is way easier than I thought. This dish basically involved chucking all the ingredients into a dish and letting it cook in the oven. The best part is it's so. good.

Ingredients:
600g of chicken (well, I just used the packet, which was 600g. I think it would be better with more chicken though, and I intend using a larger quantity when I next make this).
Peppers (I'd say at least two, though I would definitely recommend using more. Again, I would have done this, however we only had two peppers in the house)
Two red onions
One clove of garlic
One teaspoon of chilli powder
Half a teaspoon of paprika
One quarter of a teaspoon of cumin
Half a teaspoon of salt
One teaspoon of sugar
Olive oil
Tortilla
Condiments of choice (e.g. guacamole, salsa, sour cream etc.)

I started by chopping the peppers into large chunks. I also chopped the onions roughly, and the garlic clove finely. I placed them all in a glass dish.

The chicken I had was already cut into chunks, but I sliced had already been cut into chunks, but I cut them down further to make them a bit smaller and easier to eat in the tortilla. However, you could use larger chicken fillets and cut those in to strips too. It doesn't really matter, so long as it's chicken! I placed these chunks in a pan along with the peppers, onion and garlic.

I pre heated the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (most people would do this before they started cooking but I feel like it's a little bit of a waste- it still gets cooked perfectly well even if you don't pre heat the oven for a very long time).

I combined the chilli powder, paprika, salt, sugar and cumin in a bowl. I added it to the ingredients in the glass dish along with a liberal drizzle (I think that's a bit of an oxymoron, contradicting itself slightly. What I mean is a didn't just add a few drops but I didn't drown it either). I mixed all the ingredients together with my hands in order to make sure that everything was well coated.

I put the dish in the oven for twenty minutes, took it out and stirred it thoroughly, then put it back in to cook for a further fifteen minutes.

We all ate it with tortillas, and no condiments because there were none. Well, I'm lying slightly. I had BBQ sauce on mine, since that was the only thing available, and I really love my sauces. I was the only one, though.

I can't believe how delicious it was. I can't believe that something I made, that chicken that I made came out succulent and juicy and tender. The juices ran and mixed with the pepper, onion, garlic and spices and it was unbelievable. It definitely has to be one of the best things I've ever cooked, and I don't often cook amazing things (in fact, it's a bit of a rarity).

No comments:

Post a Comment