Wednesday 4 May 2016

Wednesday Night's Dinner: Falafel

Another easy one! Cooking is easier than I thought! I think I was just scared for nothing really. I actually really enjoyed this one too, and I thought it was pretty fun to make.

Ingredients:
400g of chickpeas
Half a red onion
One clove of garlic
One teaspoon of cumin
A large handful of coriander
Half a teaspoon of chilli powder
Two tablespoons of plain flour (I used wholemeal)
A liberal sprinkling of salt
Sunflower oil for frying

I started by roughly chopping the half onion, garlic clove and coriander, and left it to one side.

I then opened the can of chickpeas, drained them and dried them with some kitchen towel.

I combined all the ingredients above (minus the sunflower oil) in a food processor and blitzed them until them mixture was smooth and could easily be moulded (if you can imagine shaping them into balls as you would do with dough then it should be okay).

I rolled them into balls using my hand and flattened them into disk shaped patties. I made them pretty small (and came out with twelve), but you could make them bigger, though it would make fewer.

I put them in the fridge to chill for a bit (well, around fifteen minutes). This isn't essential though.

Once out of the refrigerator I heated the sunflower oil in a large pan and fried them until they were golden brown on each side. It's important to use kitchen roll once you've fried the falafel and removed them from the pan as it will soak up the excess oil.

We ate the falafel with whole meal pitta bread and an red onion salad (which I did not make). I think it would also go well with cucumber and lettuce, and perhaps Greek yoghurt, though I'm less sure of that. I thoroughly enjoyed this and felt a real sense of accomplishment having made it, despite the fact that it really wasn't that difficult. I honestly wish I had some photos because they looked amazing too!



No comments:

Post a Comment