Tuesday 1 March 2016

Achievements and Improved Confidence- February

I've decided that I'm going to make monthly posts up until I go to university (and possibly even beyond then) where I keep track of everything I've done in the month that has gone towards improving my confidence. These things would usually be stuff I wouldn't have normally done, but could also include things that made me feel much happier and gave me a better perspective on life. This will hopefully help me achieve my aim of improving my confidence over my gap year. These are the things I've done over February:

  • Attended university applicant days and actually managed to make conversation with some of my fellow applicants. 
  • The job thing?? I'm not actually sure if this counts but I feel in a weird sort of way it does.
I've been to some university open days before but I've never actually managed to get to know my fellow applicants a little. This really did help boost my confidence a little as it reminded me that I'm not completely socially inept and helped restore my hope in having a better time at university the second time round a little, and it made my visits just a little bit more enjoyable. Plus it's nice to talk to people when you don't get to see anyone much. 

I don't know if the job thing counts. I suppose the best bits (applying for it, doing well in the interview and being offered the job) all happened in January, but I think a degree of confidence was required in taking a job despite the fear of working until late at night. Of course there's also the getting everything sorted and figuring out what to do on my first shift. It wasn't a huge confidence boost but I think it was something. At least I can say that I did it and I hated it- I would have regretted it otherwise if a hadn't taken it.
I thought about it a little more since writing the above paragraph and I think it does, in a weird way. Of course, it would have been a bigger achievement and confidence boost if it had worked out, but it meant that I was forced to act like a damn adult for once in my life. This is going to sound so pathetic, but I'd normally just hide behind my parents and get them to clear up my mess as much as possible (as I did with university). This time I managed to make my own decision and come to my own realisations, and I was the one who undid my mess and found out about leaving. The whole job thing was down to me, from finding the vacancy, to applying, to arranging every induction to deciding to leave. For me, it was quite a big thing, even though it must seem tiny to most other people my age.

I'm a sad that I haven't done a bit more, but February is a shorter month so I'm going to use that as an excuse (as well as trying to take more opportunities to improve my confidence)

No comments:

Post a Comment